Friday 8 May 2015

the copper beech in may


The leaf buds have opened and the new leaves are vibrant in the spring sunshine. Even on a dull day when these photographs were taken, the colour is glorious. The effect is perhaps enhanced by the slight concertina texture of the recently unfurled leaves.






Looking up through the branches, the new leaves reminded me of a cloud of butterflies.


  


The fresh green of the springtime oak is a beautiful contrast to the copper beech.

Joining in with Loose and Leafy's 'Tree Following' project.




4 comments:

  1. Yours is such a beautiful tree. I can't get over the red color! Amazing -- that's the only word I can think of. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminded me - I saw a tree in winter and told the people I was with that I thought it was a beech. (Every finger crossed!) And we had decided to go back to check once the leaves had opened. Your post reminded me but I had to rack my brains to remember where it is. Now I remember . . . dare I return?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! The colour, the butterfly leaves, the green surrounds contrasting so vividly with the dark tree trunk and the unfurling leaves. The branches droop quite dramatically. Is this characteristic of copper beech trees?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding color! so interesting to see it this time of year

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - thank you!