Monday 7 April 2014

the hawthorn tree - april


The hillside was full of the sound of chiffchaffs (recently arrived for the summer) and as I approached the hawthorn tree, a pair of jackdaws also wandered towards it. A great tit was sitting in the tree itself, calling. Spring definitely is in the air.

Spot the bird...

The silhouette of the tree is looking different from last month with the leaf buds bursting into life and the fresh green leaves emerging.

 

One of the many country names for hawthorn is the 'Bread and Cheese Tree' as the young leaves are edible. The 'bread' refers to the leaves and the 'cheese' the flower buds. I have yet to try them! A lady in her 80's recently told me that as a child she would eat young hawthorn leaves in a sandwich. I have also read of a liquor being made of the leaf buds with brandy (perhaps a little more tempting to try!)

 

It was a delight to discover growing underneath the tree, a cluster of violets amongst the grass. Violets are one of my favourite spring flowers.





And this plant was growing in amongst the grass. I couldn't find it in my wildflower book when I came to identify it, so maybe it is a grass or plantain? Any ideas as to what it is would be most welcome!

Joining in with Loose and Leafy's 'Tree Following' project - do check out other trees being followed here

The hawthorn tree in March

10 comments:

  1. What a slope! Imagine going down there on a tin tray! (Or maybe you don't have to imagine because you do!)

    The silhouette is like a bead necklace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha yes! It is our favourite sledging slope, though the molehills make it a bumpy ride! I was racking my brains to think of a good analogy for the silhouette and you've hit the nail on the head with a bead necklace, thank you!

      Delete
  2. P.S. You've got two links to this one page in the box. Shall I remove one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely with the violets and chiffchaffs! I've heard hawthorn leaves are nice in a salad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will have to give it a go - I wonder if my boys will notice!

      Delete
  4. I can never tell the difference between the call of the chiff chaff and that of the great tit. They are both a bit repetitive and unmusical. Can you tell me how to tell them apart please?
    I think your little plant is Carex humilis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the id! I think chiffchaffs are higher pitched than great tits and possibly have a fuller song - if that makes sense! Also you suddenly start hearing them from now on as they over winter in Africa, so they are more noticable. Here's a link to a recording of their sound if that helps http://sounds.bl.uk/Environment/British-wildlife-recordings/022M-W1CDR0001406-0500V0

      Delete
  5. I'd forgotten about hawthorn being called Bread and Cheese! My children will definitely want to try this when the flowers are out...Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hawthorn is such a beautiful tree. It will be interesting to compare notes as the hawthorn trees we are following change through the season - mine is much smaller, but is already vigorously growing its leaves. I love yours - wonderful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see what you mean, mine is slightly ahead of yours, I suspect it is because of the extra shelter and warmth it gets from the wall of the house - the one in our neighbour's garden about 100 yards away is at the same stage as yours, and is much more exposed. I really must try the leaves and flowers, you are the second person to mention the "bread and cheese" thing...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - thank you!