Monday 11 February 2013

A rather muddy walk...



 

 

 



Yesterday was a dripping and squelching sort of day. I don't think it stopped raining all day. It was our Steel Anniversary (11 years!) and we were determined to go out for a walk, exploring out in the countryside, to celebrate our togetherness, even if it was just for one wet soggy hour!

We went to a nearby nature reserve, Dolydd Hafren which is on a natural flood plain of the River Severn. It a couple of bird hides there so we knew we could at least get some shelter. We didn't spot many birds as I think it was too rainy even for them, but the highlights were a Little Egret and a flock of Linnets. It was nice to sit out of the rain to eat our jelly beans (our staple on any walk!)

Even on the greyest days there were still touches of colour. The zingy lime of the catkins, the lichen on the tree trunks and my favourite, the crimson brambles against the dried out remains of last years cleavers. Was amazed at how red those brambles are! It was too wet to take my beloved DSLR out, so these pictures were taken with my phone and I'm really pleased with how they turned out.

It was a lovely hour, sliding through the mud. In the evening the celebrations continued with a warming Mexican themed meal. K's favourite... I think I did good!

Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - thank you!